Sunday, January 27, 2013

journalling

So let me just start by journalling our adventures in home renovations so far has been amazing. I already feel like I'm calming down a bit.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this or not but I tend to get pretty wound up about the project we are undertaking. I can even get a little ants-in-my-pants about whatever we are working on. Some might say obsessive and they wouldn't be too off.

Being the super multi-tasker that I am, I can can easily find myself in the middle of 4-5 projects at once.  I can also start to feel like the mountain in front of us is so much bigger than we can ever hope to climb, when what I really need to do is look back and see how far we've come. This journal thing is a great tool for that. I just wish I had begun sooner.

So here is a bit of a progress report and quick look inside how my brain works.

1. The floor in the "Wood Room" is 90% painted and I'm now running super low on paint. The thinset stuff is a bit of a chore to scrape off and I've already cheese grater'd my knuckle twice. Ow. It looks way friendlier but I'm going to spend a few days on that last 10% to get it looking great.

2. The primer did not stick to the wood panelling and so I'm going to have to sand it first. NOOoooo. Life sucks. Oh well! I had not painted too much before I discovered this so it could be much worse.

3. I'm going to go buy a few gallons of Annie Sloan's chalk paint. I'm thinking Monday if at all possible. I'm looking at graphite for sure, possibly some kind of duck blue or similar. I'm still thinking about it. I might paint the paneling with that stuff as well.

4. In regards to the above: I might paint my kitchen cabs black. I'm in the fantasize stage but it's sure making me happy to think about it. I have decided 2 things for certain and one of them is that I will paint them. The other is that later on I will rip them out. It's a terrible layout. Terrible!! Nothing to be done in that department for now so I must make do. The black thing is really supported by the idea that I won't be keeping them forever.

5. I am going to paint the fireplace bricks in the wood room too. I'm not sure about all this white. Maybe linen would be a better choice.

6. I think I'm going to paint the vanity in the powder room just off the wood room. It's ugly.

7. The kids need a bedroom. They are sleeping in a make-shift situation and it needs to happen. Gathering supplies and inspiration. We've already painted the walls and we are definitely doing some kind of bunk beds/play loft thing in the room.

Ok I'm going to stop there. As you can see my brain is a humming buzzing mess on a Sunday morning. This is why this journaling business is helping. It's like having a place to store all my crazy.

There are still a couple of things on the unfinished list.

1. Replace outlets in living/dining room. (Another coat of paint first?)
2. Finish working on chandelier over dining room.
3. Look in the attic. We have not done that yet because we are scared. I'm pretty sure we will find some kind of crazy situation up there.
4. Finish working on the DIY chandelier for the dining room.
5. We need transitions for the floor (Kitchen, great room) and stair transitions x2.

Here is the fixture I want to replace

Here is me playing with a DIY bubble chandelier idea.


If I can get it together I'll post a few more pictures. Right now I'm waiting for the hubby to take down the current light fixture. 







No comments:

Post a Comment