Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So I need someplace to stash my stuff for a while...

Hah! Pregnant crazy lady has made it back to this 3am awake place. I am having difficulty translating all these buzzing ideas into blog posts. So I figure the best thing to do is to keep cataloging my finds and interests and move on from there.One thing at a time young jedi.... right so lets start this journey of 1000 miles shall we.

This is a post about the dining room which until 1 week ago was filled with hand-me-down things and purchases that suited a different time in my life. Being round in the belly gives you a real freedom to do crazy crap like post the entire contents on Kijiji Now that the room is almost empty and even the curtains are off I am in the process of creating a room I love. Seriously! You should try this! It was so scary and absolutely liberating and lovely.

Firstly I'm toying with the idea of the DIY lamp. I need a pendent/chandelier/shade thing for my dining room but I am in absolutely no position to buy anything I like (I have expensive taste!) and the cheaper versions of things I'm OK with or 'like' are not really doing it for me. It feels like settling. Like that guy you dated because you couldn't snag his much much much hotter friend. 

I have this amazing chandelier that I have found called the GLADYS and it's only about 600.00. I'm in love and it just so happens I have a spool of giant black lace in my closet (don't ask and I won't tell). I'm wondering if I could rig something up with an embroidery hoop and some hot glue that might be OK. I could always spray paint it right?

I'm also toying with the string ball. You know the project. It is tempting but I think these things look nice in groups or just one extra large one. Otherwise it looks too crafty? Am I being picky?

Aside from this I've found several DIY projects that involve dollar store planters and other such handy bits which I could also go for. This would really be limited by what I find in the dollar store and I'm sure it would be plastic. There is also the safety issue of constructing something from cheap materials that were not intended for the purpose.

Progress on the dining room is slow. I have completed the purge that will lead to my design salvation but I am now stuck at the painting stage which means I must go buy paint. Pregnant people have to buy special paint that costs extra money (it's really something I would do now anyway but still). Shall I go with white or should I keep the soft blue from the living room at 100.00 a gal I'm not sure it's worth the colour match. Painting the walls will mean I can put things up against the walls. Putting things up against the walls means I can set up my table/chairs/pew. Ohhhh yeah baby this is going to be good.

I also have my eye on a set of vintage oval frames which I think would look neat mixed in with some of my square/rectangle modern ones and give me a bit of a fun gallery wall. Perhaps we will just post about this for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment